Gibsons Building Supplies had its humble beginning in 1946 when Dick Fitchett and his uncle, Arthur Hill began barging material to the Sunshine Coast. Dick and Arthur hired a barge to bring construction materials to Gibsons, and as other people requested space on the barge they saw the need for stocked materials to be available to potential customers. With $500 they purchased a small inventory and commenced business. In 1947 they built an 8' X 12' shed on a lot located on Seaview Road in Gibsons Landing and proudly hung a "Gibsons Building Supplies" sign over the door.
1952 - "Blackball" ferry service begun operating to Gibsons Landing, this brought more people and an opportunity to transport building materials by truck rather than barge. Dick bought his first big truck to transport materials to the Sunshine Coast. The business continued to grow and flourish as the population expanded.
1957 - Dick Fitchett married Ann Brown, and she soon began taking care of customers and managing the accounting for the business.
1965 - Barrie Reeves married Ann and Dick's middle daughter, Marion, and he began working for the company.
1971 - Barrie and Marion bought the company from Ann and Dick, and moved Gibsons Building Supplies to its current location, 924 Gibsons way, in upper Gibsons.
1984 - A second location was opened at 5575 Wharf Street in Sechelt, and began serving the community of Sechelt and outlying areas.
2012 - Gibsons Building Supplies celebrated it's 65th Anniversary.
It's no secret that Gibsons Building Supplies continues to maintain its distinct reputation of providing friendly and professional service to all of our customers. With the ability to provide a wide range of building products for projects large and small.